Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fat girl no more...

Depending on how long you've known me, you've probably only ever known me fat. I was never a skinny kid, but I started really gaining weight around the age of 10 [this age happens to correlate with my parents' separation and eventual divorce, so I think I'll blame them :) ] At the age of 13 I was at my full height of 5'8" and weighed in at a whopping 250 pounds. So, yeah, you've probably only ever seen me very fat unless you've known me my whole life.

No, I do NOT think fat is a bad word. I've always made the most of my size and appearance, and I think I've done a good job of being a pretty hot fat chick. Unfortunately, the big 3-0 is quickly approaching and if I want to lose weight, get married, have children, age healthily (is that the right word???) I need to lose weight soon. I have family history of diabetes, joint pain, and other problems that being fat very definitely exacerbates.

As my other attempts to lose weight have been feeble, I am now announcing that my gastric bypass surgery is scheduled for Wednesday February 11th, 2009. I've done my research, I've wanted to do this for many years, and I am ready. No negative feedback allowed here folks!

I happen to have great insurance, so the process has been fairly simple. My employer offers 2 insurances, and I just switched in January to make this possible. The only insurance requirement was a diagnosis of morbid obesity (BMI of 40+). I had a consult with the surgeon 1/12, my insurance received the request for pre-authorization on 1/19, surgery was authorized on 1/22, yesterday 2/4 I was able to schedule for next week. How's that for speedy processing? This going so fast makes me feel like this is the right time and is really meant to be.

I'm really happy to have the surgery take place before my birthday and am looking forward to this new journey in life. It should be interesting to see the changes this brings and I feel very blessed to have this opportunity at this point in my life. I look forward to seeing a version of me I've never met :) This blog should be much more interesting and regular from now on.

8 comments:

Jen said...

That is awesome cuz! I am so happy for you! Is your mom coming down to help with you recovery and what not???? How long will you be in the hospital? Having it done lapriscopically (is that how you spell it?)?
I am so EXCITED For you!!!!!

Kristin Sokol said...

We are 100 percent behind you. Can't wait to see you shed your shell and live life to its fullest!

Go, fight, win!

Ruth and Steve said...

Good Luck Bonnie! As least we made it through the layoff too. So two great things this February.

Melissa said...

My oh my...I can't wait to see how this turns out for you. I have always thought you were hot too--I'm glad that you have this opportunity because I know it is something you've wanted for a very long time. Good luck with everything...Love you!

Misty Moncur said...

Good Luck! You deserve the very best! 100% behind you, too.

jess said...

Bonnie I am so excited for you. I have always thought that you were such a fun girl with one of the best personalities!I can't wait to see the transformation.. I can't wait to see all the changes in your life in the next little while. Keep us all posted and up-to-date!

E'lise Collins said...

Remember me? Colton's Sister, E'lise. I just wanted to say good luck and i think it is GREAT that you are going through with this. You will feel soooo much better. I have a few friends that have done and they have been very satisfied. Good luck Bon Bon!

Rylee said...

YAY I am so excited for you!!!! I am lookinmg forward to seeing the skinny pictures!